Portrait of a Character
With Guest Presenter Liana Vargas (BVA)
A painting workshop inspired by the first fully painted feature film based on the art and life of Vincent Van Gogh – ‘LOVING VINCENT’ soon to be released.
DATE: Sunday 25 September, 2016
TIME: 10.00 am – 4.00 pm
VENUE: Splashout Art Studios, 5 Ravine Street, Marino
FEE: $180 (includes 12 x 16″ stretched canvas and painting materials)
Complimentary refreshments available throughout the workshop.
BYO lunch for a truly Parisian alfresco experience.
From the Instructor:
“After seeing the trailer for this film I saw the works of Vincent Van Gogh in a new light and felt a workshop coming on. Apart from the obvious beauty of every brush-stroke in this film, it is the fresh take each artist involved has given the well known and much loved paintings of Van Gogh. Over 100 artists have been commissioned to create over 56,000 paintings. This ambitious Biopic on Vincent’s life is told through interviews with characters from his paintings and it is this that made me think about the characters I have known throughout my life and that I wanted to give life to at least one of them. We all know one – a character that is.”
What will happen on the day:
- The workshop will begin by a showing of the ‘Loving Vincent’ trailer followed by a short tutorial on the life and works of Vincent Van Gogh.
- A demonstration will be given on Van Gogh’s creative process and brush strokes, palette and his approach to composition.
- Participants will then draw up their canvas based on a photo they have brought along of a ‘character’ from their life. Please make sure it is an enlarged, good quality colour photocopy.
- Elements from Van Gogh’s paintings can be incorporated into each participants painting, if they wish.
- Liana will move around the studio assisting each participant throughout the workshop and at the end of the day all the paintings will be presented for a group critique and photos.
ABOUT LIANA VARGAS – Guest presenter
Liana started her creative career in the profession of Dance, with ‘Flamenco’ as her specialist genre. She has studied and performed dance and art worldwide with notable achievements. During her Flamenco years she danced in venues such as ‘The Royal Albert Hall’, ‘Covent Garden’ and ‘Saddlers Wells’.
On retiring from dance she switched her creative focus to another art form – ‘Drawing & Painting’. Liana gained her Bachelor of Visual Arts (BVA). Shortly after graduating in 2014 Liana was offered ‘Artist in residence’ at the ‘Scuola Internationale de Grafica’in Venice, which of course she accepted.
Liana describes herself as an ‘abstract expressionist’ and can turn her hand to many methods and styles in a wide range of art forms. Liana’s study and experience has breadth and innovation, which has led her to becoming a well known character within the South Australian art scene. In addition to presenting workshops at various ‘Adelaide Hills’ locations, she also runs art classes for kids/teens at her home studio at Littlehampton. In 2016 Liana joined Splashout Art Studios as a ‘Guest Presenter’ and is now also in the ‘General Instructing Team’.
Important: Please check availability before enrolling/paying.
Tel: (08) 8296 3859
Payment options: Credit card. Cheque. Internet electronic funds transfer.
Electronic Funds Transfer:
BSB: 735621 | Account number: 545035 | Account Name: Splashout Studios
IMPORTANT: Please advise when paid
View our Terms and Policies HERE