Intermediate Drawing & Painting
Final Online Project (2 weeks): Working from a Photographic Image
Please view the overall introductory briefing for the project with Krystyna Ciesiolkiewicz DipT BEd (Fine Arts)
Please view the briefing for the project with Cat Leonard.
- View the selected images below.
- Choose one you would like to work with.
- Print off and crop as per the verbal instructions.
- Please note there is a colour written below each image. This will be the colour required for your background, ie pink, orange etc.
Cropping: sectioning out area you wish to paint.
Landscape/Portrait: format in which you want your painting to present
Open or closed composition:
Open composition taking out a section of the photograph.
Closed composition the whole photograph.
Send Cat (via email: firstname.lastname@example.org) a section of the image you are wanting to paint.
ALSO the completed detailed tonal drawing of that section in pencil.
Once sighted by Cat and you get the go ahead, start the next stage of the process.
Please view Stage 1 of this project with Cat Leonard
- Take your canvas sheet or stretched canvas and paint on your background colour as per the verbal instructions.
- Paint your chosen base colour (ground) on your canvas, so as not to be working on a white canvas base. Make your background colour strong and vibrant, ie hot pink or bright orange etc.
- Follow Cat’s verbal instructions.
- Your base colour (ground) becomes part of your tonal range and needs to come through in your painting later.
Please view the 2nd and final stage of this project with Cat Leonard
Please view the 3rd and final stage of this project with Cat Leonard
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
Photograph your initial drawing and email to: email@example.com
Once you’ve received feedback for your initial drawing, please move onto the next Stage.
Once you have chosen your image, please paint your background colour on your surface so as to give it good time to dry.
Cat discusses in the audio about using acrylic or oil for backgrounds (please follow her advice)
When your painting is complete, please take a photo and send in for Cat’s final feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org